Monday 2 January 2017

Final Prop List

List of Props and Required Equipment
For my opening sequence, I plan to use an array of props to help construct the mise-en-scene and therefore establish the post-apocalyptic setting and genre. Furthermore, certain props will be used as visual prompts for the audience to identify something about the character's nature. I will also list equipment I will need during production. In-depth detailing on the character's costumes and why they are wearing them can be found here.

Props

  • Animal Skulls - I will use animal skulls to place in my location and casually position in-shot to make them look as though they are naturally part of the environment. This is a way of constructing the mise-en-scene and depicting a post-apocalyptic wasteland by showing how death, destruction and ultimately decay has taken place. I will ask the actors to act as though the skulls aren't there so the characters don't seem phased by them, this will hint to the audience how this is how the world is, establishing its difference from our contemporary world. I have acquired these props from the Biology department at my friend's college after having asked around if anyone, by any chance, had any animal skulls/fake skulls available to borrow. 

  • Gas Mask - Gas masks are a common part of the iconography of the post-apocalyptic genre, so this is another effective method of assembling the mise-en-scene and establishing the genre to the audience. Furthermore, it implies some form of history to the 'apocalypse' that would require some measure of protection against contamination, eg. nuclear fallout etc. This, therefore, aids the exposition. Furthermore, it suggests something about the character: it shows that he's cautious as he takes measures to ensure his safety, even when he wants to kill himself. I believe pairing these contrasting ideas together reflects on the idea of human instinct, a subtle theme in the opening of my film. Conveniently, somebody I know has a gas mask available to borrow for filming.

  • Rucksack - Given the fact the protagonist is surviving in the wild, I thought it would be realistic that he had a rucksack of supplies, otherwise, the idea of the characters survival would not be very convincing. Furthermore, I thought it would reflect on his resourceful nature as it suggests he has scavenged these items after the 'apocalypse'. It is also a realistic method of carrying other props, such as the gun or the gas mask. The actor playing the protagonist has a backpack available to use for filming. 

  • Gun - This gun will obviously be the device the protagonist attempts to kill himself with. I believe the gun itself represents the characters struggles and grief, as when the dog, representing hope, comes along he puts the gun down, therefore foreshadowing how he will accept his loss and move on from his grief. Guns are appropriate in post-apocalyptic films as they often include violence and weapons. The gun will also reflect on the character's cautiousness as he is suggested to be quite a passive character, yet the fact that he still carries a gun shows how he does want to maintain his safety. It also creates irony when he wants to use a device that would have been used for his own safety to kill himself with. My actor has a gun prop I can use for filming, although, it does have a red cap and I will have to take this into consideration when framing the shots. 

  • Hand-Made Weapon - In the flashback scene, a blunt, stick-shaped, hand made weapon will be used to kill the protagonist's former partner. I was originally going to use a baseball bat, however, I thought using a handmade weapon was more appropriate for a post-apocalyptic film as the characters would have had to have been resourceful. Furthermore, I think it reflects the character's bloodthirsty nature if he went out of his way to make a weapon, signifying his priorities. The actor starring in the role of the protagonist has a blunt, handmade weapon used for previous projects that we can use during filming. 

Equipment 

  • DSLR Camera
  • Tripod
  • SD Card
  • Dog Treats

No comments:

Post a Comment