Wednesday 1 February 2017

Selecting the Score

Selecting the Music
After placing all my clips into a sequence I can begin to put my sound effects and music into the film opening. In order to choose an appropriate score for my film, I have browsed Youtube and multiple royalty free music distributor websites in search of a royalty free soundtrack. 

There was a specific style of music I was looking for for my production: ideally, it would be emotional and dramatic and likely played on strings to create a more natural sound as opposed to electronic. Furthermore, I wouldn't have liked too dramatic music as then it just makes the whole production cliche and overbearing. 

I began searching on Youtube for some royalty free music by searching: 'emotional royalty free music'. All of the results I looked at were very cliche piano tunes, so I specified : 'royalty free strings music'. The results were far better, however, they were a little dramatic. I then searched: 'Post-apocalyptic emotional music royalty free' and to my surprise (given it was such a specific/obscure search) there were plenty of results. 

I found a Youtube Composer who specified in royalty free compositions - Ross Budgen. He had one composition that really stood out to me most: 



It was perfect, it was emotional and was even labelled as post-apocalyptic inspired. The only issue I found was that there was no mention of it being royalty free, so I did a little research and realised it was an original score for a short film called 'The Most Beautiful Day' and therefore, wasn't royalty free. I went onto the soundcloud of the song and in the comments was a person asking if they can use it and the creator of the film said they could so long as they added appropriate credits.

This led me to email the Einar Kuusk, who made the short film and seemed to have control over who could use the track.


So, I gained permission to use the soundtrack for my film!

No comments:

Post a Comment