Saturday 17 December 2016

Audience Research Feedback - Film Opening

Feedback From Audience Research (Film Opening)
After asking a small collection of people about what they expected in feature film openings as well as their opinions on my idea I created a summary of what is generally expected.

From a post-apocalyptic opening, people expect to see the setting more than anything else whereas in a drama film people expect characters and character emotion. They believe that film openings in general shouldn't be too chaotic but still remain engaging enough to make them want to watch further. Not too much should be revealed except the most basic information, for example, minimal characters should be used except the main ones and not too many settings being introduced to not overwhelm the audience with too much information. However, there should still be a level of ambiguity left so the audience still have something to watch on for.

What Have You Learnt? 
I learnt that the public have very similar views to eachother as to what they expect from a feature film opening as well as post-apocalyptic/drama film openings. I also learnt that they expect similar things I collected when researching film opening expectations and genre conventions, so it's nice to know that my audience know what to expect too.

What is the General Consensus Towards Your Idea?
The overall opinion on my idea from the sample I asked seemed to like the idea. They said that it would be very emotive and quite a powerful piece of filmmaking. They would quite like to watch the rest to see where it follows on from the opening.

What Might You Change After Conducting This Research?
Now that I know what the public expect from a film, I think that I will ensure my film opening is very simple as the general view is that simplicity is stronger as it won't confuse or overwhelm the audience with too much information and things going on. I will try and maintain some level of ambiguity and mystery but still reveal enough plot to engage the audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment